Pages

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

#Support4Wilmot - Free Kiera Wilmot!

This is what happened to me when I entered the science fair. I won the school fair. I won the regional fair. I was invited to a summer program with the Discovery Channel. I placed at the state fair. So, not a clean sweep but I won a $1000 scholarship for college. And I used it. 

I wasn't taken in to federal custody and charged with two felonies. Nor was I expelled from school and only allowed to graduate from an "expulsion program."

Kiera Wilmont, a 16-year-old student from Florida, mixed household chemicals together in a bottle before the school day started. Although, she only expected smoke, there was an explosion. She wasn't injured. None of her classmates or school property were injured. After the small explosion and the smoke, she didn't go to first period. She went into federal custody for Possession/discharge of a weapon on school property and discharging a destructive device. To a so called "juvenile assessment center." She is being charged as an adult. 

We don't know what will happen to her but we can only hope these charges are dismissed and her story ends like mine. Because scientifically curious students should be rewarded, not punished. Free Kiera Wilmot.


Read more here and here and here. #Solidarity4Wilmot  #KieraWilmot